Thursday, January 11, 2018

Plays and other fun things

On Sunday, the 7th of January, I went with Kathy and her friend Ruth to a play down in Old Town. It took place in the Angela Peralta Theatre, which is a very old, beautiful theatre. It was a one man show called Hard Travelin with Woody Guthrie. It was all about how tough life was for the miners and farmers during the Oklahoma dust bowl years. It was very well done! After the play we went to a little restaurant across the plaza from the theatre to have a bite to eat and a drink. We all had tortilla soup. Yum. While we were waiting to be served I noticed a couple looking around trying to decide whether or not to come in. I knew immediately that I knew her from somewhere. So when they were seated at the next table to us I leaned over and asked them if they were from Kelowna. They were very surprised and said yes, they were. It turns out she was Diane Silk, a teacher from Anne McClymont school. It took her a few moments to figure out who I was but then the light went on. She is best friends with Anne Loerke, whose classroom I worked in. Small world.
On Monday, Ian and I took the bus into Old Town with the intention of going to the Marcado. We never did get into the market. We headed for the beach and happened to find the condos where Georgina will be staying the last two weeks of March. We think she will be very happy there. The condos look lovely and they are right across the street from the malacon and the ocean. The street is lined with all kinds of eateries and bars. It’s a short walk to Old Town and the Market. After spending the afternoon there we took the bus right to the end of Cerritos (just down the street from our condo) where we had pizza and cervesas at the Last Drop. This is also where we women go to play bingo. At any rate, they also have karaoke on Mondays. So we stayed to watch the action. There was a couple of singers that were actually pretty good, but overall I would say that the majority of them were just awful. I don’t know how people can convince themselves that they are good when they are that bad. I know that alcohol was involved but still! And I have some of it on video. Anyway, we met some more really nice Canadians (are there any other kind?).  Tuesday was a somewhat laid back day. Wednesday was ladies luncheon again. So off we went to a place called Dolce Momma’s. it was pretty good food with fabulous desserts. Kathy shared her blueberry cheesecake with us. It was very good. Eric and Ian spent the day together. They went to the marina for lunch and then something wonderful happened! They found some Danish butter for me. I guess it costs the earth but the Mexican butter is, as far as I’m concerned, inedible. So I’m a happy girl. Today is Thursday again so that means bingo tonight.
We have just heard from our good friends Brenda and Basil. They have booked a flight to come down and join us here in Mazatlan. They arrive next Wednesday and will return home on the 28th of January. We are really looking forward to their company, and guess what? She is bringing us good old Canadian butter! Anyway I’m off for my morning walk on the beach. And then we are going to Walmart for more grocery shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment