Sunday, January 14, 2018

Sea Turtles on the beach!

The other morning while I was taking my morning walk along the beach I saw a man from the Sea Turtle Rescue team talking to a woman and her two children just at the edge of the water. So I stopped to see what was going on. There was a newly hatched turtle trying to make it into the water but every time it got in it was washed back up on the beach by the next wave. So this man showed us how to pick it up and place it in the ocean. They do not encourage people to pick them up at all really because most people pick them up between two fingers which can damage them and also people carry germs on their hands as well as sunblock,etc. But if you are going to pick them up you should scoop the sand well under them and gently place them out in the water. So a little further along the beach I found another turtle that at first I thought was dead. But it was still alive, just exhausted. So three times I tried to get it into the water but it just kept getting washed onto the shore. I eventually left it where it was. I guess Mother Nature knows best. On my way back home I saw the same rescuer  on the beach with quite a large crowd gathered. This is where a nest of turtles had just hatched and these poor little buggers were trying to get to the ocean. A big job for newborns. People were making paths in the sand to make it easier for them to travel. It was a very cool experience to watch these turtles. Apparently we have six to eight nests along our beach here that will be hatching over the next few days. Hopefully I see it again and this time with my camera.
The other evening we had Eric and Kathy over for dinner. Thought it was time to pay them back for hosting us and driving us around. Anyway, we have a lovely rooftop patio that we hadn’t used until then. I think it was Eric’s idea to go up and what a good idea it was. It’s a lovely spot to sit and watch the sun go down. We had a couple of cervesas and did just that. Had a nice evening together.
Eric an Kathy are picking us up today to take us up to a little town called El Quelite for lunch so we are looking forward to that.
Brenda and Basil arrive on Wednesday. Looking forward to that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment